Eczema is a skin disease which is also known as dermatitis. Eczema in infants occurs most commonly before the school going age. The symptoms of eczema in babies include redness of skin, itching, flaking, chapping and at times sore wounds that bleed.
The Ayurvedic treatment for eczema in babies can prove to be very helpful as the primary aim is to balance the various doshas that are present in the body and making sure that they do not recur.
Due to the holistic treatment offered by Ayurveda it is very safe for babies as it does not cause any side effects at all. The details of the various treatment processes involved in Ayurveda for eczema are provided below:
- It has been proven that giving a bath with the water obtained from boiling the bark of babul tree can be very effective in getting rid of eczema.
Also applying the mixture of lime and seeds of butea are found beneficial. Application of sandalwood paste with one teaspoon of camphor brings down the bacteria in eczema and helps heal wounds faster.
- The baby should be given a concoction of carrot and spinach juice blended in equal quantities every two hours for a day so that itching and redness reduces substantially. Alternatively giving the juice of tomato also helps in bringing down the impact of eczema in babies to a very large extent.
- When the baby has constitutional problems that have given rise to eczema then the treatment done under Ayurvedic involves treatment that has herbs.
These herbs are used in small quantities to treat impurities in the blood of the baby and even balance the constitution of the body. Some such herbs made use of in Ayurvedic are Shatavari, Ashvagandha, Sariva, Manjistha etc.
- The external treatment of eczema in babies involves bathing the baby in special herbs that give good relief from dryness, redness and itching of the skin.
Some of the herbs used in the bathing water for babies include Neem, Haridra and Patola. These herbs help in soothing the skin along with removing any fungal infections that the baby may be suffering with as a result of eczema.
- Lastly the baby should not be allowed to have dry skin and keep moisturized at all times. For this one can make use of any Ayurvedic baby skin ointment or lotion which should be applied after every two hours in order to prevent dryness and itching.